Water leaks and burst pipes are very common in domestic and commercial property’s and not all water leaks are obvious at first. At Ember, we understand the importance of finding and fixing and potential water leaks quickly and effectively. Some of the tell tales you could have a water leak..
- Have you received a high water bill?
- Are you losing pressure in your hot or cold water supply?
- Can you see a visible damp patch in your property?
- Can you see bubbling or dampness in the walls?
- Can you see your water meter spinning continuously?
- Can you hear water running with all taps turned off?
- Do you have limit hot water?
Any of these issues could be an indication of a water leak in your property and it might be time to call Ember Plumbing Perth. For any residential or commercial water leak issues it is best to call a plumbing company that carry’s hydro sonic leak detection equipment which at Ember we carry the latest in leak detection equipment for all Perth homes and businesses.
What to do if you have a burst water pipe
- Locate the water meter and turn off the main water meter isolation tap immediately.
*If you don’t know where your water meter is read here
- Turn on the taps in the house to drain any pressure from your water supply.
- Take photos of the damage and water before you clean up. This can be used for you insurance claim if a claim is necessary.
- Next you should diagnose whether the leak is on the hot or cold pipe, this can be done by turning off the isolation tap for the hot water system and turn the main water back on. If the leak has now stopped this indicates the burst pipe is on the hot water pipe and the cold water can be kept on to the house to allow for the use of toilets and cold water taps. If the leak persists with the hot water system isolated this indicates the burst pipe is on the cold water supply and all of the water will be required to remain off until the leak is repaired.
- Bring in professional floor dryers if required, this can help with drying the floor and prevent long term damage. Something as simple as a domestic fan or heaters with the windows open may be sufficient.
- If the leak is in an unknown location a leak detection specialist will be required. Ember Plumbing carry the latest in leak detection equipment, learn more on our modern leak detection methods here.
- Call a licensed plumbing company to locate and repair the leak.
- Ensure your plumber completes a leak allowance form for the water wasted, this is a rebate which will discount the amount of water waste off your total water bill.
Leak allowance eligibility
We consider each application on a case by case basis. To be eligible for a leak allowance, you must meet the following conditions:
- The leak must be undetectable (not visible). For any visible leaks, you may apply for Leak Assist.
- Internal pipework needs to be repaired or verified by a current licensed plumber, or for any irrigation repairs, a waterwise garden irrigator.
- The licensed plumber must hold a current plumbing trade’s person license under the direction and control of a Licensed Plumbing Contractor, or contractor’s license as issued by the Plumbers Licensing Board. For more information visit commerce.wa.gov.au.
- The plumbing or irrigation repairs must be compliant with government regulations.
- You must be occupying and/or maintaining the property.
A leak allowance won’t be granted for leaks and/or bursts that occur on internal or external taps, internal appliances, fixtures or fittings including dishwashers, hot water systems, toilet cisterns and valves. For these kinds of leaks, you may apply for Leak Assist.
Please note: A waterwise irrigator is not allowed to repair leaks, install manual isolation or backflow prevention devices on your internal plumbing.
More information can be found on leak allowance’s here
Check out this water leak we found in our customer’s bathroom!
Kardinya, Perth WA 6163